I have never been a huge fan of jams and at first being here I was reluctant to say no when something was offered to me in case it was offensive. And so I started to eat the jam that my girlfriend's mother and grandmother made but I must admit that I became quite addicted to finishing off sniadanie (breakfast) with a few dollops of whichever particular fruit jam was on offer on a lovely sweet, fresh, soft roll. I decided to find out how it was made expecting some old, exceedingly complex recipe but it actually it is extremely simple and straightforward.
1. Choose your fruit. Get loads of it.
Whatever you feel like - I like strawberry most. The photos are of babcia making blackberry jam.
2. Clean the fruit of twigs, stalks, hard stuff whatever, while in water.
3. Put roughly 1kg of fruit into a pot and add the jelly powder sachet (Your local Polski sklep[shop] will have this. See photo below). Heat and the berries produce juice.
4. When it is boiling add about 500g of sugar, mix, and bring back to boil for 5 minutes or so.
5. Take of heat and keep stirring until the white foam at the top dissipates.
6. Pour the hot mixture into clean jars, close and turn upside down for a few minutes.
7. Once they have reached room temperature they can be stored in the fridge.
Tell me what you think of this recipe.