About the author

Originally from London, I moved to Poland to absorb as much of the culture as humanly posssible. Maybe the biggest influence on me has been the food and I credit my adopted babcia, (Polish for grandmother) Ania, with much of the information here. I lived in Zielona Gora and Szklarska Poreba which are in the west and south-west of Poland respectively.
Please feel free to leave any comments or visit my other site An Englishman in Poland

Saturday, 14 July 2007

Soups of Poland

Polish people really love soup

I had only really eaten tomato soup in London if I was ill because it is easy to eat and very warming. But since being here I have eaten so many types of soups both as a first course of obiad (dinner) or with the main meal as a drink. I enjoy them now, especially on winter nights. It is probable that the association of Poland and soup originated for this reason also with long, cold winters being the norm.
Now I always have some sort of soup around because

  • They are a handy way to use up anything you would otherwise throw out
  • They are extremely easy to make
  • They cook themselves
  • They last a long time
  • They can be quickly reheated
  • There is a huge variety

I have selected the most important (and tasty) soups that I have tried over here and I strongly suggest you try these recipes for yourself at any time of the year.

No comments: