- Potato (2 med)
- Eggs (4)
- Carrot (2)
- Parsnip root (2)
- Celery root (0.5)
- Apple (1)
- Gherkin (2 large, marinated)
- Mayonnaise (full fat tastes best)
1. Boil all veg until soft and hard boil eggs.
2. Peel veg and apple.
3. Dice veg and eggs as small as possible and place in dish.
4. Add mustard, mayonnaise, salt and pepper and mix. There is no right amount of these. When a different person makes it they add different amounts and it comes out slightly different each time. Experiment and have fun with it.
Babcia uses Polish mayonnaise made by Winiary which is better than any I tasted in England.
There are many types of mustard in Polska kuchnie (Polish cuisine) and although babcja uses a type called sarepska (see photos).
Try this if you want (get them from Polski sklep or Polish shop), or use other mustards, mayos and vegetables in different ratios. There is no exact recipe - experiment.Salatka is great on it's own or with kielbasa or on a kanapka. I have tried it with most things and it's great.